DRAFT This is a draft proposal which has not yet been voted on by the committee.
Proposed by Rich Tomasso.
- Problem: We were exposed to a problem with an affiliate this year in which the members seemed to have no recourse for a non-functioning board, even one that was apparently in complete violation of their bylaws. At one point the only option seemed like disaffiliation, which seemed extreme.
- Solution: Allow the national Judicial Committee to serve as a similar resource to our affiliates, if necessary.
- Benefits: Helps avoid situations were a non-functioning affiliate leadership can sink an affiliate by inaction or malfeasance and there is nothing the members can do about it. Also gives affiliates without a judicial committee a means to solve problems in a similar manner.
Bylaws of the Libertarian Party
Article 9: Judicial Committee
The subject matter jurisdiction of the Judicial Committee is limited to consideration of only those matters expressly identified as follows:
- suspension of affiliate parties (Article 6, Section 6),
- suspension of officers (Article 7, Section 8),
- suspension of National Committee members-at-large (Article 8, Section 5),
- voiding of National Committee decisions (Article 8, Section 13),
- challenges to platform planks (Rule 5, Section 7),
challenges to Resolutions (Rule 6, Section 2),
suspension of Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates (Article 14, Section
- service as a committee of recourse by members of affiliates without a similar functional committee to handle disputes or breach of affiliate rules.
- added - blue, underline, italic