DRAFT This is a draft proposal which has not yet been voted on by the committee.
Proposed by Rich Tomasso.
- Problem: One of our goals is building a political party that elects Libertarians to public office. Yet the national party has not created specific incentives and recognition for those affiliates making gains in fulfilling the mission of a political party: to run candidates and ultimately win elections. We do count the the Presidential vote, but in many cases that is outside the control of the local affiliate, and also tends to favor the more populated states.
- Solution: Rewarding those affiliates that are running effective campaigns with one of the few things we can, more influence at the Convention. Adjust the formula for delegate allocations for the regular convention to add delegate spaces to each affiliate based on the election results of their top of ticket candidate.
- Benefits: Creates one more incentive to run bigger and smarter campaigns. Rewards states where Libertarians are making inroads.
Bylaws of the Libertarian Party
ARTICLE 11: CONVENTIONS
Affiliate Party Delegate Entitlements:
Each affiliate party shall be entitled to send delegates to each Regular Convention on the following basis:
- One delegate for each 1.00 percent of the popular vote earned by the "top of ticket" statewide Libertarian Party candidate, excluding President, in the most recent general election in that affiliate's state.
- added - blue, underline, italic